- I hate Chris Pronger.
- I hate Shane O’Brien.
- For effect, I hate Chris Pronger twice.
- I poke quite a bit of fun at Sami Salo.
- And I ain’t down with this “Wooo!” phenomenon after every Canucks goal.
What’s got my Canucks jersey in a knot is the fifth point.
It seems that DJ Dave, who’s usually spot on as the Canucks official game-day DJ, decided to play a David Lee Roth sound clip after a goal. Seeing the “allegedly” instant appeal from the “lower bowl” fans, he has played it after every Canucks goal since. I will admit that I thought it was a nice idea at first, but then spent a few seconds thinking and found myself completely against it.
First, Carolina already has the “Wooo!” chant going for them and I can’t support anything that comes from a non-traditional US hockey market. Second, it has spawned a chorus from the “Wooo!”-birds who think that simply shouting it out at any moment in the game is actually a good thing. Seriously – it goes like this:
- Canucks score – Wooo!
- Canucks touch the puck – Wooo!
- The referee blows his whistle – Wooo!
- Someone wins the 50/50 – Wooo!
- The guy at the hotdog stand roasts a mean frank – Wooo!
- There’s still paper towel in the washroom – Wooo!
See why I hate it?
Now it appears that support of the anti-“Wooo!” movement is pretty thin. Brian has expressed his dislike, and a few people in the twitterverse are also in favour of culling the “Wooo!”-birds, but for every one of us, there’s a Trevor or Derek who drink the Kool-aid and support the “Wooo!”
So I urge you – fight the establishment and bring down the “Wooo!” Talk to your MLA or MP. Sign a petition. Picket outside GM Place. Remember, it’s for a better and just cause!